As a whitewater paddling club, Paddlejunkies main goal and purpose is to bridge the gap between early beginner paddlers, and intermediate paddlers. We seek to create a community that is welcoming, and non-threatening to new paddlers, and to provide safe and challenging paddling opportunities for paddlers ready to gain swift-water experience. Rather than duplicate and fragment services already offered, we will collaborate with other clubs, and instructors to assist new paddlers in overcoming the obstacles they face after an introduction to the sport. We also aim to maintain the Paddlejunkies Facebook Community and broader community, to facilitate informal (non-club) trips and excursions involving both members and non-members.
- We value the fun of paddling above all else. We value the excitement of whitewater, and the environment we paddle in. We value a relaxed approach and recreational paddling.
- We value safety on the water, through proper training, practice, and experience. We value good decision making, and challenges that do not put developing paddlers at serious risk
- We value challenge. We value the challenge of stretching our own abilities, and encouraging others to do so.
- We value community. We value being a place where new paddlers are welcome, and experienced paddlers can share the knowledge.
- We value the process. We value the steps a beginner must take to proceed from their first day on the river, to a competent, safe, and confident class II+, III- paddler. We value the development of good judgement, and a deeper understanding of the river.
WHO WE ARE / WHAT WE’RE NOT
What we are:
- a place primarily for beginners bridging the gap to intermediate
- a message board no associated with membership
- collaborating with and supporting other clubs
- providing club trips but not at the expense of informal gatherings
- a place to carry on after you have done beginner lessons and want to keep going
What We Are Not:
- a club running higher class water
- exclusive to non-members (whenever possible)
- trying to take over instructor roles from established instructors